Mike McKee began his drumming life as a young teenager in Apex, North Carolina. Influenced by the 1990′s pop and rock music of his youth, Mike starting jamming with his brother Mark McKee and other neighborhood friends. What started out as just a way of hanging out and goofing off turned into a passion and drive, and eventually into a career.
Mike turned pro during his tenure at Campbell University, playing with countless cover bands, praise and worship groups, and original music.
His full time group is Delta Rae (Warner Brothers/Sire), based out of Durham NC. He has played with the Triangle Jazz Quartet, Rich Emily, Jason Adamo, Peruvian Superstar “Santino”, and many other acts around the region while remaining one of the “go to” guys in the emerging Raleigh music scene. Mike is also the house session drummer for K-House Recording Studios in Raleigh NC, and was a private percussion instructor at his studio in Cary, NC from 2006-2011.
He has opened up for Alanis Morissette, Grace Potter, Jakob Dylan, Arlo Gutherie, Lifehouse, Hanson, Edwin McCain, Carbon Leaf, NeedToBreathe, Sister Hazel, Charlie Daniels Band, and many others. His band Delta Rae was signed by A&R legend Seymour Stein in January, 2011 and their debut album “Carry the Fire” was released on June 19th, 2012.
2012 Delta Rae Highlights:
- Guest-of-honor at the Grammy Museum’s “Icons of the Music Industry: Seymour Stein” on June 18th, 2012
- 2 appearances on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (June 11 and November 26th)
- Conan O Brien Show (September 12)
- VH1 You Oughta Know artist for October
- Sold 20k albums within 7 months
- Amazon artist on the rise feature, resulting in 18k downloads (highest for the November program)